07 March 2008

Blog365 - Day 62

I know you're probably sick of seeing photos of me so here's a few odd ones I've taken over the last week or so that might be of interest.

This is the flower and fruit of the Banana Passionfruit plant, found it growing in the bush by our creek! It had lots of fruit so I'm waiting for them to ripen to their usual yellow colour before I go down there with the rake. Why a rake you might say - well this plant is a pest in NZ and takes over the bush canopy if left to it's own devices, it's up very high & hard to reach. See that little curly tendril, it latches on to anything it can get hold of and gradually makes its way around the earth! The fruit is to die for but unfortunately it's not grown commercially so this is the only way you can get it.

This is the last rose I used the other day in my self portrait photos after it opened, it has the most gorgeous scent.

This is just the common Thrush and I think they are so pretty but darn hard to get a photo of as they don't stay still for very long and only take one or two stabs for the worms before looking up and around and hopping off again! I took this one through the net curtain at my kitchen window and managed to fix it somewhat in PSE6. In the next one I managed to move the curtain when he wasn't looking but by then he had his back to me.

At once a voice arose among
The bleak twigs overhead
In a full-hearted evensong
Of joy illimited;
An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
In blast-beruffled plume,
Had chosen thus to fling his soul
Upon the growing gloom.

So little cause for carolings
Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things
Afar or nigh around,
That I could think there trembled through
His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.

- Thomas Hardy

No comments: